The UN has finally mustered the courage to establish an Inquiry Commission into Israeli war crimes during its onslaught on Gaza in July/August 2014. The Inquiry Commission announced by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon today will comprise five members. The UN chief had visited Gaza last month and come away visibly shaken after witnessing Israel's destruction of civilian infrastructure including UN buildings.
New York, Crescent-online
Monday November 10, 2014, 21:07 EST
In a groundbreaking move, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has appointed a five-member panel to investigate Israeli attacks on UN shelters during the Zionist onslaught on Gaza July 8 – August 26, 2014.
Retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert will lead the inquiry.
It will “review and investigate a number of specific incidents in which death or injuries occurred at, and/or damage was done to United Nations premises,” UN spokesman Farhan Haq said in New York today.
The UN chief toured the damaged UN sites last month and declared that Israel’s destruction of the buildings and structures was “beyond description.”
Israel’s 51-day onslaught on the tiny Gaza Strip resulted in more than 2100 Palestinian deaths, 80 percent of them civilians of whom 30 percent were children.
The number of buildings destroyed ran into thousands among them five UN facilities where Palestinian families were sheltering after evacuating their homes as demanded by the Zionists.
Yet that offered little protection to the beleaguered Palestinians. In addition to houses, apartment buildings, 170 mosques, 223 schools and 5 hospitals were also targeted and destroyed.
The UN spokesman emphasized that Ban “expects that the board will enjoy the full cooperation of all parties concerned.”
The UN Human Rights Council in Geneva separately has set up a commission of inquiry into the Gaza offensive, led by Canadian lawyer William Schabas.
On November 5, Amnesty International in its report into Israel’s war on Gaza said the Zionist regime was guilty of war crimes. Amnesty’s report said Israel deliberately targeted houses, schools and mosques even when it knew such attacks would result in civilian casualties.
The UN Inquiry Commission and Amnesty’s report come amid rising tensions in the Occupied West Bank where the illegal Zionist squatters from North America and Europe have been targeting Palestinians. They have now extended their war crimes to Al Aqsa Mosque on the Haram al-Sharif.
While Rabbinical law prohibits Jews from trespassing on the Haram al-Sharif for fear of desecrating its holiness, the Zionist thugs have been barging in there and attacking Palestinians.
On November 6, the Zionists attacked worshippers inside the Masjid al Aqsa causing extensive damage to the sacred site.
The Zionist occupation regime has also on numerous occasions blocked Muslims from entering the Haram al Sharif to pray in Al Aqsa.
Amid rising tensions on the West Bank, an Israeli soldier and a woman were stabbed to death in two separate incidents today.
In the evening attack, a Palestinian stabbed three illegal Israeli squatters at the entrance to Alon Shvut squatter camp (aka ‘settlement’) in the West Bank.
Zionist police sources said the Palestinian identified by Israeli media as Maher Hamdi Hashalamun, 30, from Hebron, was shot and killed by a guard.
The Israeli soldier was stabbed near Tel Aviv train station earlier in the day.