by Editor (Editor's Desk, Crescent International Vol. 45, No. 11, Rabi' al-Thani, 1438)
In an astonishing admission, the Saudi Interior Ministry admitted to Al Hayat newspaper that there are thousands of Saudi terrorists operating in different countries. This is what this newsmagazine had repeatedly stated. The Bani Saud have now confirmed this.
In an astonishing admission, the Saudi Interior Ministry admitted in a report released on December 26 that more than 2,000 Saudi terrorists are active in different countries. More than 70% of them are in Syria where they just suffered a crushing defeat in eastern Aleppo.
“The number of Saudis proven to be in conflict areas is 2,093,” interior ministry spokesman General Mansour al-Turki told the Saudi daily, al-Hayat.
While the number is grossly under-reported and there has been no admission of the numerous madrasahs they finance, this is the first instance of the Saudi regime officially admitting that its citizens are involved in terrorist activities abroad. What has forced the regime to make this admission is the subject of speculation but it seems it has panicked because of recent developments.
The first is the election of Donald Trump as US president while Bani Saud had backed his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton. Further, Trump has said that unlike his predecessor, he will confront the terrorists in earnest. And in a blow to the Saudis, the Syrian Special Forces captured a number of Saudi terrorists together with an American and mercenaries from other regional countries, from a bunker in Aleppo last month.
Are the Saudis trying to cut their losses and distance themselves from the very terrorists they have indoctrinated and unleashed in different countries because they are now feeling the heat? Only time will tell whether they are serious in their repentance but it is a start.